Thursday, August 27, 2009

Imagine my surprise

at the last Hauntcon when I look over to see a guy I have never seen before with a name tag that says

John Kennedy
Haunted Attraction Magazine


Wait...what the....did Leonard hire some help? What's up?

It appears that quietly one day in March, Leonard handed over the reins of his beloved magazine to John.

Hum, really? I was a bit shocked.

Well, it did not take but a few moments for John to see our name badges and quickly come over and introduce himself to husband and I. Wow, that was unexpected...I mean all these pro haunters everywhere and you are talking to us.....wow.

We became fast friends and spent a lot of time at the show over dinner and on bus rides to events getting to know each other better. We were both quite honest about what we like and what we thought held back the industry. We talked in dept about our thoughts on the place of a home haunter in the greater scheme of Halloween.

He was very attentive and quick to compliment. No matter how many times I told him that there are far better haunts than ours out there that should be featured in the magazine. He was fast to support his reasons for why The Davis Graveyard is a stand out home haunt that can and has inspired many other haunters.

It is just not one of those things that I see when I look at my stuff. John, Leonard and husband are always quick to remind me that I am way too hard on our stuff. I guess I am, but that is not all of it.

Part of the history (bad juju) that I have spoken about in the industry is some of the things that have been said about haunters. Mostly just opinions and misunderstandings mixed with a bit of ego. We are all human, it is bound to happen.

In life.... there will always be someone that does not like what you do, and feel the need to express that to you, either to genuinely to help you, or to support their own insecurities by cutting someone else down. Either way, it is usually painful, no matter how much you smile on the outside and say thanks. Feelings get hurt, and we even the best of us can say something we don't mean or foster an opinion that is based more on our feelings than fact.

I never wanted to be part of that. Unfortunately, I have been. The more I say to my defense, the worse I seem to have made the matter. It still bothers me, but, since I have no options left to myself but to work through and around it, that is what I do.

In my own way, to combat that way of thinking, I make a point to go out of my way to be kind and supportive of all haunters. It is really my nature, if someone takes it the wrong way, there is nothing I can do about it, and I am not going to change based on someone's interpretation of my intentions.

I try to always remember we are all doing this as a form of expression and creativity. The best way to make that grow is with support, it helps me, and, I may be going out on a limb here, but I imagine it also helps you (other haunters and creative people.)

I am trying not to focus on or get defensive in advance to the comments of the people that think that the Davis Graveyard is not the best example of a home haunt for this magazine, or because we attend the conventions is why we are featured. That is their opinion, and I have more productive things to do with my time than to try and change their minds. Believe what you want and I will do the same :)

Today I am focusing on how cool it is to see our haunt all printed out in a (very nice) shinny magazine. And how lucky husband and I are to have the support of so many haunters, both home and professional. Thanks everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!! You are always so helpful and willing to share and your haunt is amazing.

    You so deserve to be in the mag. Pro or not you're tops with us Ghoulies!

    ReplyDelete