Friday, August 6, 2010

So I am ripping off this idea

from another blogger Alphaville, that I just adore, because every Friday like clock work I get to hear a Tom Waits song. 

I know it should not be a big deal, last time I checked my iPod I had about 438 Tom Waits tracks to listen to.  But it is not the same.  Kinda like when you hear your favorite song on the radio...playing live over the airwaves.  Just a different feeling.

So, I know unless I stay up all night one weekend and post 52 songs, there is no way I am going to remember to do this every week.  And I know that there are all those cool blog follow things out there....but I already messed up one of those recently by being sick....and people expect you to play by a set of rules....you all know how I feel about those.

Anyway - I am just going to share songs that I love.  I would say I have a favorite song or songwriter.  But really I just admire some performers/writers for different reasons.

Today we are going to focus on one of my favorite lyricists.  I have many, but in the top 5 is definitely Andy Partridge from XTC - he is a genius in my book.  English Settlement is one of my favorite CDs (I am actually old enough to say I had it in vinyl originally :)

XTC  has written many great songs....but if I had to pick today, and believe me it is very hard for me to do this with their work.  It would have to be "Dear God" 




If you catch me on a different day it might be "Smartest Monkeys" or "Chalkhills and Children".....or maybe "Last Balloon"...oh, and then there is "Greeman"...I do so love that song too!

1 comment:

  1. Good song, (sigh) we're getting old aren't we? Eighties music is now on the "oldies stations" that played Lawrence Welk when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete